Skip to main content

Bloggers redefine media consumption trends

You might have heard that The New York Times had to cut back its staff and it is planning to charge for its online content. There is no doubt that it is one of the best English language newspapers in the world that I have read, but I ended my hard-copy subscription more than two years ago. In fact I get most of my mainstream news from Google News, and to read perspectives and other interesting tidbits, I visit blogs.

Blogs are redefining how content is delivered today. Some of my readers read my articles without realizing that they are reading a blog (which is fine by me - that is the way I like it), but an increasingly large number of people are reading blogs the way they should read them. I have also written extensively how my friends in corporate America are still afraid of blogs and have no strategy in place to exploit them for a whole range of value-creating purposes. "Since I don't get it, I will ignore it," is the mantra.

Let me mention some of the blogs that I read and ones that I think are changing the way people receive and read content today.

Robert Scoble works at Microsoft and he is a pioneer when it comes to blogging what is on his mind without an employer breathing down your neck. A lot of the time, he talks about stuff that is too technical for me, but very often he has great insights into business aspects of technology.

Daily Kos is another blog that I read when I need the kind of content that I used to get from the Op-Ed pages of The Times. He is clearly politically biased but what I admire about him as a blogger is how honest he is in sharing what he really thinks. If mainstream media dies, they have only themselves to blame. They were always trying to be politically correct.

Wonkette is a product of Gawker Media - a company that could become a big player in blogosphere if everything goes well. Like Daily Kos, they are brutal in their assessment of political events.

Lawrence Lessig is a professor at Stanford Law School and founder of the Center for Internet and Society. I got to know his writings through his publications in Wired Magazine and since then I admire his work a lot.

Finally, Seth Godin and Tom Peters are other two bloggers that I read.

Technorati tag: