Skip to main content

Yoga for the business professional

As part of my Ask-Jay series, this is the question I received Friday, "I am an IT consultant and I am in my office only when I am lucky.  I am on the road literally five days a week.  I realize that I work harder when I am traveling, but what is worse, I am so stressed out when I am away from home (separated from my lovely wife and a 2-year old daughter).  Do you have any tips on relaxation for a professional like me?"

 

I know exactly how it is for a consultant, being a management consultant myself.  Since there is no 'home' to go to after work and with laptops being with us all the time, when we do come back to our hotel rooms, we inevitably try to get some more work done even after the business day is over.  So gone are the days when an executive will go for a drink in the hotel bar or hang out in the pool or just watch television. 

 

Here is what I would recommend:

 

(1) Pick a hotel that has a health club or spa on the premises.  Ask your client to recommend one for you.  If you can not find a hotel with one, ask the hotel staff beforehand about the location of the nearest gym for a workout.  Chances are you will be able to go either free (as a hotel guest) or for a discounted price.  Why am I saying this?  It is very important to workout when you are traveling.  It is good for the body and also gives you some time to de-stress.  Plus if you are traveling with colleagues, you can get away from then for a while.

(2) If you can, don't order room service.  I feel awful eating alone in a restaurant but I still make an effort.  If possible, eat your meal at the bar.  And always bring something light to read.  So if you are alone, then you can simply read something rather than getting depressed for being alone in a restaurant.  Restaurants offer better menu choices when you go there.  Room service menu is typically bad.  You have to eat healthy, no matter what. 

(3) Just because you are on a business trip, it does not mean that you have to conduct business all your waking hours.  If possible, do not work after business hours.  Find out about local events  or check out tourist attractions.  Watch a movie on television or just read a book that you have been trying to finish for a while.  Do call home every night and spend enough time talking to your family.

(4) Stay away from alcohol.  It might be a good idea to have one glass of wine with your meal but do not use the mini-bar. 

 (5) If you have never tried Yoga or other relaxation techniques, attend a Yoga class during the weekend and learn the basics.  Yoga can be a great way to get away from it all.  Work is important but it should not overwhelm you.  Yoga will enable you to do that easily.  There is an excellent book Office Yoga: Simple Stretches for Busy People by Darrin Zeer that shows Yoga techniques for the office as well as almost anywhere where businesspeople end up.

(6) Finally, get a good night's sleep.  Yeah, I am recommending a good movie or a book, but that does not mean you should watch it all night.  You will feel great the next day after resting well.